WESLACO, Texas – Steve Valdez, executive director of the Economic Development Corporation of Weslaco, has given the Rio Grande Guardian International News Service an update on the big projects happening in his city.
In the video interview, Valdez focuses on the eagerly-anticipated Mid Valley International Industrial Park, which will have Glazer’s Beer & Beverage as its anchor tenant. He also talks about the importance of the expansion projects currently underway at the two international bridges close to Weslaco – Progreso International Bridge and Donna International Bridge.
Other topics discussed are the development of numerous retail and housing projects.
To accompany the interview, Valdez provided some key statistics:
- There is a population of 108,603 within a five-mile radius of Weslaco
- The Mexican population just across the Rio Grande/Bravo is 2.6 million
- Approximately 18 million Mexican nationals visit the Rio Grande Valley every year.
- Weslaco has a general aviation airport with an on-site U.S. CBP point of entry.
- Weslaco is headquarters to the National Guard, DPS, Border Patrol, HEB Distribution, and IDEA and Horizon Montessori Public Schools
- Weslaco’s top selling point is its central location in the Rio Grande Valley.
Here is the video interview:
Editor’s Note: The above video story is the first in a two-part series on the growth happening in Weslaco, Texas. Part Two will be posted next week.
Quality journalism takes time, effort and…. Money!
Producing quality journalism is not cheap. The coronavirus has resulted in falling revenues across the newsrooms of the United States. However, The Rio Grande Guardian International News Service is committed to producing quality news reporting on the issues that matter to border residents. The support of our members is vital in ensuring our mission gets fulfilled.
Can we count on your support? If so, click HERE. Thank you!