My name is Lizzie Kittleman. I am McAllen native and experienced educator and I have just launched my campaign for McAllen Independent School District (ISD) School Board Trustee Place 1.
My bid for School Board Trustee is a grassroots campaign dedicated to advocating for the students, teachers, and families of the McAllen Independent School District. With a focus on educational excellence, student well-being, transparency, safety, and equity, I am committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of all McAllen ISD community members.
I am committed to ensuring academic success for all McAllen ISD students and better support for teachers and staff. I seek to bring a fresh perspective with classroom experience to the school board.
I am focused on these key priorities:
1. Supporting the Whole Child: Prioritizing all aspects of the well-being of students by investing in enrichment programs and support services, while fostering an inclusive atmosphere that celebrates diversity.
2. Ensuring a Safe, Quality Education: Advocating for the necessary resources to empower the MISD workforce, while implementing evidence-based practices to ensure a secure learning environment.
3. Transparency and Accountability: Pledging to uphold transparency between the school board, parents, and community members.
I have a proven track record in education that has already earned her the local endorsement of the McAllen American Federation of Teachers. My experience as a student and graduate of McAllen ISD and my passion for education was fostered by the very district I hope to serve. I sought to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education and a Master’s in Education (M.Ed.), focused on Curriculum and Instruction. I earned both degrees from Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas. While I am currently pursuing a Doctorate in Education (Ed.D.) at The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, I have over nine years of experience as an educator. I was voted Teacher of the Year in 2019 while working at a Title I campus. I am a graduate of Leadership McAllen Class 41 and currently serve as a board member for the Boys and Girls Club of McAllen.
Earlier this month my campaign kickoff event was held on the 17th Floor of Chase Tower in Downtown McAllen. I laid out the foundation of my campaign in a room full of supporters, including:
- McAllen City Commissioner Tony Aguirre
- Judge Murray Moore
- McAllen ISD Board Trustee – Debbie Crane Aliseda
- McAllen ISD Board Trustee – Sam Saldivar
- Former McAllen ISD Board Trustee Larry Esparza
- Fellow McAllen ISD Board Candidates:
- Lucy Regalado (Place 2)
- Former McAllen ISD Board Trustee Erica de la Garza (Place 4)
- Roy Aleman (Place 5)
- Aaron Daniel Rivera (Place 5)
My campaign will continue with local events and forums leading up to early voting, which starts on Monday, April 24th, and ends with election day on Saturday, May 6th.
For more information about myself and my campaign for McAllen ISD School Board Trustee Place 1, follow Lizzie Kittleman for MISD Place 1 on Facebook.
Editor’s Note: The above guest column was penned by Lizzie Kittleman, a McAllen native and educator who is running as a candidate for McAllen ISD board of trustees. The above column appears in The Rio Grande Guardian International News Service with the permission of the author. Kittleman can be reached by email via: [email protected].
Quality journalism takes time, effort and…. Money!
Producing quality journalism is not cheap. The coronavirus has resulted in falling revenues across the newsrooms of the United States. However, The Rio Grande Guardian International News Service is committed to producing quality news reporting on the issues that matter to border residents. The support of our members is vital in ensuring our mission gets fulfilled.
Can we count on your support? If so, click HERE. Thank you!