EDINBURG, RGV – Every 2 minutes a child is diagnosed with childhood cancer. Now the number one cause of death by disease in children five or older, childhood cancer is on the rise in the United States. To battle this devastating disease that affects more than 300,000 children worldwide each year, and increase awareness within our community, DHR Health (DHR) is participating in Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Throughout the month of September DHR will host events to support local children and families that have been affected by childhood cancer and to raise funds for children in the Rio Grande Valley who are currently battling the disease.
To support our fight against childhood cancer, join DHR at these family-friendly events:
- Go Gold 5K & Kids 1K
- The second annual Go Gold 5K race is dedicated to raising awareness and supporting local pediatric cancer patients and their families. The race will take place at Bentsen Palm Community Park.
- Date: Saturday, September 8, 2018
- Time: 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Address: 1801 S. Inspiration Rd., Mission, TX 78572
- A Day of Yellow and Gold at DHR Health
- DHR Health will come together to show our support for Childhood Cancer by wearing yellow and gold! Photos from A Day of Yellow and Gold will be posted on the DHR Health Facebook page.
- Date: Friday, September 14, 2018
- DHR Childhood Cancer Awareness Walk
- DHR Health will host its Annual Childhood Cancer Awareness Walk to help raise awareness about this disease and honor all of the children and families in our community that have been affected.
- Date: Thursday, September 20, 2018
- Time: 6:00 PM
- Address: Southwest Corner of DHR Health Parking Lot (5525 Doctors Drive, Edinburg, TX 78539)
- Gold & the Beautiful Childhood Cancer Awareness Walk
- The 6th Annual Go GOLD Walk for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month will take place at the Town Lake at Firemen’s Park every Wednesday of September.
- Date: Every Wednesday of September 2018 (5th, 12th, 19th, 26th)
- Time: 6:30 PM
- Address: 201 N 1st St, McAllen, Texas 78501, McAllen, United States
- Carnival For Hope
- DHR Health and the Kiwanis Club of Edinburg invite all children battling childhood cancer and their families for food, fun, and games at the Edinburg Conference Center at Renaissance.
- Date: Sunday, September 30, 2018
- Time: 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Address: 118 Paseo Del Prado, Edinburg, TX 78539
For more information about Childhood Cancer Awareness Month or these events, please call DHR Health at (956) 362-3203.