ABC NEWS – At least 60 people were killed after a magnitude-8.1 earthquake rocked Mexico late Thursday night, leveling buildings in southern Mexico, triggering tsunami warnings in several countries and causing people to flee into the street.

Buildings swayed and lights went out in Mexico City, some 650 miles from the epicenter.

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto called it the strongest quake the country has seen in a century. The U.S. Geological Survey measured it at 8.1 magnitude, though initial reports said 8.2.

Peña Nieto said in a series of tweets on Friday that more than 200 people had been injured and more than 260 aftershocks had hit the country since the initial quake, the most powerful of which was measured at magnitude 6.1.

Editor’s Note: The main image accompanying this story shows soldiers removing debris from a partially collapsed municipal building after a powerful earthquake in Juchitán, Oaxaca state, Mexico, Sept. 8, 2017. President Peña Nieto visited Juchitán on Friday.

Click here to read the full story.

Donations


Project Paz and the El Paso Community Foundation are accepting donations for the victims of the 8.1 magnitude earthquake that devastated southern Mexico on September 7 — the country’s worst earthquake in more than a century.

One hundred percent of donations made through the El Paso Community Foundation and its partners in Mexico will go to help victims of the earthquake in Chiapas and Oaxaca, in partnership with Fondo Unido México and Fundación Comunitaria Oaxaca.

Click here to make a donation.